Previous to any marriage within the State of South Dakota, a license must be obtained from the Register of Deeds of any county. You do not need to purchase the license in your county of residence or in the county you will be married in; you may purchase the license in any South Dakota county as long as you will be married in South Dakota.
- Both parties must appear in the office of the Register of Deeds to apply for the license.
- You must be 18 years of age or older and you must provide identification such as a valid driver's license or other acceptable form of photo identification which states the date of birth. If an applicant is not a citizen of the United States they will be required to provide their passport.
- Social Security Numbers are required but you do not need to present your Social Security card. The license will expire ninety days from issue. You must be married within 90 days of purchasing the marriage license.
- If an applicant is 16 or 17 years of age they must have his or her parent consent. The parent or guardian should complete and sign the Parents Consent Form before a Notary Public. The parent or guardian may accompany the couple when they apply for the marriage license and sign the form at that time or the couple may bring the completed form when they apply.
- The cost of the marriage license is $40.
Marriage License Application (PDF)