The Lincoln County Veterans Service Office (VSO) educates and assists veterans, and their dependents and survivors in applying for veterans' benefits including benefits from the Department of Veterans Affairs and the State of South Dakota. Referrals are also made to other agencies that may have potential benefits for veterans. Areas of primary activity are:
- Obtaining military records and discharges
- Death benefits
- Education benefits
- Home loan certificates
- Non-service connected pension
- Service connected compensation
- Survivor's benefits
- Veterans affairs health care
The County VSO has the training and experience to assist veterans and is an excellent source for information on all matters relating to veterans' benefits. The County Veterans Service Office:
- Assists eligible South Dakota veterans in applying for the South Dakota Veterans Bonus Program
- Offers complete claims service and explanation of VA procedures
- Provides follow-up service once a decision about a claim has been made
- Provides information regarding eligibility at VA medical facilities to include the State Veterans Home
Make an Appointment
Please call 605-764-5571 for an appointment or stop in during office hours. For veterans unable to come into the office because of disability or health reasons, the Veterans Service Officer (VSO) will arrange to visit the veteran. Additionally, the County VSO is available for presentations to organizations and clubs to build awareness of veterans' benefits.
Veterans are encouraged to register their discharge information (DD Form 214, Report of Separation) with the Lincoln County Register of Deeds Office.
- Does the Veterans Service Office have access to my VA file or medical records?
- Can I apply for Veterans Affairs health care through Veterans Service Office?
- I have lost my DD-214, can you help me?
- Can you help me with applying for the South Dakota Veterans Bonus?
- Am I eligible for burial at the National Cemetery?