- Register of Deeds
- Frequently Asked Questions
Frequently Asked Questions
- How can I add a name to my deed?
You will need to have a new deed prepared to add an individual.
The register of Deeds does not prepare these documents. It is recommended that you speak with an attorney about this process. There is a recording checklist available if you wish to prepare the deed yourself.
- Are your documents online?
Lincoln does not currently provide online access to documents. You may contact our office by email or by calling us at (605) 764-5661
- Will the county send me my deed when I pay off my house?
Your deed should have been sent to you from the Title Company after your closing. We do not send any documents out unless requested. Copy fees will apply.
- What are your recording fees?
Our recording fees are subject to change.
- What documents do I need to obtain a marriage license?
Previous to any marriage within the State of South Dakota, a license must be obtained from the Register of Deeds of any county. You do not need to purchase the license in your county of residence or in the county you will be married in; you may purchase the license in any South Dakota county as long as you will be married in South Dakota.
- How can I order a vital record? Birth/Death/Marriage
To order a vital record, please refer to the appropriate section in our vital records page.