How do I request a replacement pistol permit?

Replacement pistol permits can be requested from the South Dakota Secretary of State. You may refer to the guidelines listed below, 
Please visit to verify instruction on how to do so as guidelines are subject to change according to changing legislation. 

Replacement of Permit: (SDCL 23-7-69) - A person who has been issued a permit to carry a concealed pistol shall maintain current information on the permit by notifying the secretary of state in writing of a change in the person's name due to marriage or court order or of a change in physical address. If the revised address is located within South Dakota, the secretary of state shall provide a new permit to the person.

To request a replacement permit

Send a letter requesting a replacement to the Secretary of State's Office 
500 East Capitol Ave, Ste. 204
Pierre, SD 57501

Please include:

  • Name
  • Permit Number
  • Date of Birth
  • Address
  • Signature
  • Check for $2.00 made out to the Secretary of State's Office (This may be subject to change after July 1, 2022)

Show All Answers

1. What are the types of pistol permits?
2. I have not received my permit and it’s been 30 days.
3. I need to change my address, my last name changed because of marriage, or I lost my permit.
4. Where do I go to apply for my new or renewal pistol permit?
5. How long is my pistol permit valid?
6. How soon can I renew my pistol permit?
7. My pistol permit has expired. Is there a grace period?
8. How do I request a replacement pistol permit?
9. What instructors are acceptable for Enhanced Pistol Permits?
10. Where is my pistol permit valid?
11. How long do pistol permits take to get in the mail?
12. What should I bring when I apply for a pistol permit?